Monday, January 08, 2007


Stress management



A lecturer, when explaining stress management to an audience,raised a glass of water and asked, "how heavy is this glass of water?

Answers called out ranged from 8oz. to 20oz.

The lecturer replied, "The absolute weight doesn't matter. It depends on how long you try to hold it. If I hold it for a minute, that's not a problem. If I hold it for an hour, I'll have an ache in my right arm. If I hold it for a day, you'll have to call an ambulance. In each case, it's the same weight, but the longer I hold it, theheavier it becomes. "

He continued, "And that's the way it is with stress management. If we carry our burdens all the time, sooner or later, as the burden becomes increasingly heavy, we won't be able to carry on. "
"As with the glass of water, you have to put it down for a while and rest before holding it again. When we're refreshed, we can carry on with the burden.

6 comments:

Patty said...

Good morning, I almost posted this today on my efx2 blog. But I may wait and do it later in the week. Sounds like good advice to me, what do you think? I hope all goes well with Tony's eye surgery. Love you.

Melinda said...

yes it is good advice! taking my Christmas stuff down today. I had almost suggested to Melissa that I help her take hers down Saturday when we visited and they could come back and help me do mine this week. BUT....sometimes it just goes faster when you do it yourself. I was to my limit with the tree and stuff and since it was sunny I decided to take it all down.

Tony has to have that right eye's insides scraped down....and then a lens put in......not exactly sure what all they will do or how they will do it....but thanks for the well wishes. He will appreciate it.

love you too mom!

bryan annd carol's adventures said...

amazingly enough,I heard the same speech basically when I was teaching at uk..

Melinda said...

haha...maybe it was the SAME lecturer?

bryan annd carol's adventures said...

I agree with my beloved.So many times in the district attourney's office we've heard it when people start wearing on each other's shoulders.

Melinda said...

I am sure you do Carol!