Monday, January 30, 2012

homemade banana bread...



this is my grandma's recipe and the BEST banana bread recipe I have ever used! I like to smash up bananas and FREEZE them ahead of time...then thaw them out the day I make the bread...and I add not only the bananas..but all that wonderful JUICE too. I also add MORE than just 2 bananas...usually 3 or even 4...and it is just superb!I decided to bake mine in a bundt pan this time round....here is the recipe:

1/2 cup shortening (I used butter Crisco)
1 1/3 cups sugar

Beat those 2 together to cream well.

ADD:
2 or 4 bananas smashed up and juice if you froze them ahead of time and thawed out
2 Tablespoons milk

Mix in 2 eggs

Finally stir in:

1-3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon soda
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

NUTS if you like...

Bake at 350 degree oven for 30 minutes...then turn oven down to 325 degrees and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes!

ENJOY!

1 comment:

Charles said...

When we lived in G'ville, Teaford would give dad a paper sack full of over-ripe bananas & mom would make b.bread. I have older friend that makes me one about once a month; has pecan pieces in it. Finished it yesterday.....