Friday, January 16, 2009

Secret #1 of 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women -"Acknowledging Your Creative Self"....

This is tough for me. I have held my creativity in for such a long time now....I was beginning to think I had "lost" my creative self. I oftentimes found myself wondering if I could remember how to draw or paint or do any arts/crafts. I would see other people do amazing creative work. I soaked it up. I was inspired. BUT I did nothing. I bought craft supplies....so many I could set up shop in my home. I did nothing. I have done little to nothing since.

I am a mom of a 10-year-old boy who has autism. Once he was born any creative side of myself was tucked away. I had had zero time for myself after that...as Noah required all my attention when I was not working. I am not complaining. It is just the way it was. I continued to collect art "supplies" and ideas and books ....thinking maybe ONE day I would be able to do something with them. Ten years have passed. For the first time in 10 years...there are now snippets of time in my life that are FREE. Noah has made tremendous progress and while seeing to his needs is still a major portion of my life....after working and home-schooling Noah....I do find an occasional day where I have a few moments for myself.

When that first happened I was totally clueless as to what to do with my time. I had forgotten what it felt like to have "time" to oneself. Sometimes I just soaked up and relished the "doing nothing" days.....as there had been few of those in the past 10 years.

Recently I have longed to get more creative again. I write poetry and sometimes an occasional story and that is a huge outlet for my creative side. It is one I can do fairly quickly and it requires less time. It is something I "must" do to remain sane. I have tried going "without" being creative even in that small way and I cannot. NOW I want to do MORE. I want to draw again and paint again and do mixed media and so many things. Last year I decided to do my first CRAFT CHALLENGE. It was a YEAR LONG project where each week we would receive prompts to create artwork on playing cards. It was called "Deck of Me". I was determined to complete this project as I felt it would PUSH me to make time for my creative self. It did. I soon found I was looking forward to those prompts and would get excited about "creating."

ONE of my goals this year was to continue the "flow" of my creativity...and one way I figured I could do that was to be accountable. To be given prompts to create by.....to do another challenge ...something. I signed up for this book blogging group for all those reasons. I have been asleep for so long....I want to wake up.......unleash my creative self.....and soar!

Here is what I created to express that:

P1150148crop

The photo did not turn out the best....but here it is nonetheless.

I guess this can qualify too as my creative piece for my Creative Every Day challenge I am also participating in.


And heaven help me I am suddenly craving Nacho Cheese Doritos!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Cool photo Melinda! I'm glad you're becoming creative again. I find it relaxing to become creative and do some kind of a crafting project.

It's -14 degrees this morning....feels like -30 with the wind. I can't wait to go to work!