Friday, August 01, 2008

zucchini bread flop........never add too much baking soda to a recipe......

BEFORE - don't they look YUMMY?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


I had some fresh zucchini and decided to make some zucchini bread. I decided to make 6 mini loaves instead of 2 large loaves....found a wonderful recipe online....but instead of printing it off I just quickly jotted it down on scrap paper.

When in the kitchen whipping this treat up......I read 3 teaspoons of BAKING SODA....and thought that seemed like a lot....but I did not go recheck the recipe online. I poured the batter into my pans....and then remembered this was supposed to have CINNAMON in it and I had NOT added any. SO I rechecked the recipe and realized then that it was to have been 3 teaspoons of CINNAMON and NOT baking soda!!

I stirred in the cinnamon last minute and decided to bake the bread anyway.

Then I went and read up on what can happen if you add too much baking soda to recipes....and it said it can make items taste too salty and nasty....and/or they won't rise.

Well...my little loaves tasted fine...but they did NOT rise correctly and they did NOT bake in the middle....and in fact their middles all fell. It reminded me of that dessert which is like half bread/cake and half really thick pudding....something I think called molten lava?

Well....what a disappointment. SO you are only going to see the BEFORE shots of my bread. I have to admit they still tasted good....even very gooey. I made 3 with topping and 3 without. The topping is excellent.....but....you may want to skip it for lower calories or fat content.

Here is the recipe!

Zucchini Bread

INGREDIENTS

* 3 eggs
* 1 cup vegetable oil (or you can use half oil and half applesauce)
* 2 cups white sugar
* 2 cups grated zucchini
* 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

TOPPING

The crunchy crust recipe is this: -1 cup brown sugar -1 cup all-purpose flour -2 tablespoons butter or margarine -2 teaspoons cinnamon -1/2 cup chopped walnuts. Mix it all together really well and crumble on top of the batter prior to baking. The topping cooks crisp and adds just what the bread needed. ( I added a lot less flour...like a couple of Tablespoons)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F ( 165 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8x4 inch loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy. Mix in oil and sugar. Stir in zucchini and vanilla. Combine flour, cinnamon, soda, baking powder, salt and nuts; stir into the egg mixture. Divide batter into prepared pans.
3. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until done.

NUTRITION CONTENT:

DETAILED NUTRITION
Serving Size 1/24 of a recipe
Servings Per Recipe 24
Amount Per Serving
Calories 231
Calories from Fat 104
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 11.6g 18 %
Saturated Fat 1.5g 8 %
Cholesterol 27mg 9 %
Sodium 163mg 7 %
Potassium 61mg 2 %
Total Carbohydrates 29.6g 10 %
Dietary Fiber 0.9g 3 %
Protein 2.9g 6 %
** Sugars 17.2g
Vitamin A 1 %
Vitamin C 2 %
Calcium 2 %
Iron 11 %
Thiamin 14 %
Niacin 10 %
Vitamin B6 2 %
Magnesium 4 %
Folate 18 %

5 comments:

Melissa said...

The recipe sounds good! Too bad yours didn't turn out.

lv2scpbk said...

That's what I want to get making soon. I have some from my garden, just got to get baking.

Anonymous said...

LOL! Too much baking soda? Well, it sounds like a baking adventure. Something that'd happen to me. ;-)I've made zucchini bread once before. Haven't made it since but I really liked it. It was delicious!

Paz

Melinda said...

actually even though it was too much soda and the loaves did not really bake up properly...they were still pretty good! Once frozen (they never froze solid) they were easier to slice and eat......they were still very ooey gooey but good......

Anonymous said...

P.S. Great idea to make smaller loaves than 2 larger ones.

Paz